Friday, August 20, 2010

The "Orange Days" of Summer? Hmmm...

Hello Everybody!

Well, here we are in the dog days of summer, when we start to realize that maybe winter isn't so bad after all. Come to think of it, ever wonder why it's called the "dog days?" What is THAT supposed to mean? Are dogs the only hot ones around here? When I was growing up in Cleveland, OH I used to hear the term "dog days" in reference to the long days of summer when my beloved Cleveland Indians were plodding along, 400 games out of first place. It never dawned on me to question the term.

Now that I'm older, wiser, (and have access to this wonderful new invention called the internet), I decided to do some research. Well, I found the answer, but frankly its not that exciting. It has something to do with the ancient Greek constellation system, a Greek writer named Plutarch (what were his parents THINKING?!) and a mythical dog named Kyon. Either way, the days between early July and early September are known as the "dog days of summer" until this day.

My favorite online discount store has their own definition of "dog days." It's a great time to drop by and treat your cuddly canine to something special from their Pet Supplies. Fido and Fifi can get cozy and comfy in a luxurious Brainstorm Bed or Blanket or just kick back and relax in any one of the plush chairs by Bucchi. And if you get really adventurous and you're taking your dog with you on your weekend getaway, make sure you pack along the newest Sleeping Bag for Dogs! Whatever the season, every day is a "dog day" at OrangeOnions!

Signing off until next time,
Oliver "glad my name isn't Plutarch" the Orange Onion

No comments:

Post a Comment